Knittingsmith

Sunday, May 14, 2006

What's your favourite colour?

With all due credit to Monty Python, my 'favourite colour' today is not yellow or blue, but green. Green as in the gecko who let me photograph him in Hawaii this past winter; green as in the plant that Mr. Z is daring me to shoo him away from; and green as in the lawn that's growing an inch an hour due to all the rain. Have you ever noticed how rain brings out the green in green? Even though it was soggy outside today, I still enjoyed walking around the garden soaking up the greenness.

Thankfully, we're not suffering any negative effects from the weekend's deluge other than a trickle of water in the basement. Our house is an antique with a fieldstone foundation. When it rains hard, we know it. The cats come up from the basement with wet feet. The puddle may be tiny but they'll find it and play in it. Fortunately, my yarn is safely tucked away in bins above the waterline.

Speaking of green, I finished the first of my Fixation "Effects" socks in color 9205, which is green. Fixation is interesting stuff. In general, I hate knitting with cotton; it's too much like knitting with string. Fixation, with its elastic core, has lots of give. It works up more like wool than like cotton. I'm not sure I love Fixation as socks, but I do know that I'll love it as a sweater. (Already got some on order in a nice winey red.)

As soon as I finish these socks, I can move on to another of my vast array of UFOs. Perhaps I'll reacquaint myself with the Princess Line from Norsk Strikkegarn (the chart is monumental and unmemorizable). Or maybe I'll pick up Leaf Lace shawl number two (I finished leaf lace shawl number one, thankyouverymuch). Or maybe I'll dig into my Hunt Valley cashmere. What color is it? You guessed it: Green!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home