Knittingsmith

Friday, May 19, 2006

Black and silver

First, the black, as in black lace. Sockotta is one of my favorite yarns. Part cotton, part wool, part nylon, part indestructible. Imagine my delight when I discovered that it comes in black. I've been thinking lately about making a lace pullover--the sort you could wear all the time. Sockotta will be the perfect medium, and vine lace the perfect pattern (easy, fast, and finishable....)

There's not much happening in my metalsmithing world lately. My bench is set up in the new studio, but I've just been too distracted with my day job to get over there and create. Then again, maybe my metalworking malaise has been brought on by the exhorbitant price of gold. It spiked to $725 and ounce last week, but seems to have dropped to $663 today. What a deal!

So I've been thinking in silver lately. It's only $14 an ounce (which is still exhorbitant compared to the $6 it was not too long ago), and it's nice to work with. It also pairs nicely with black. Perhaps I'll knit a black lace cabochon and forge a silver ring to set it in. It could be the start of a new trend...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home