Knittingsmith

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Veni, vidi, almost vici...

Or, more accurately, "I came, I saw, I turned."

One might view woodturning as just another form of spinning, but instead of a saxony wheel you use a lathe; instead of fleece you use wood; and instead of your hands you use sharp tools to shape your end product. Turning is also a lot like spinning in that it only takes minutes to learn the concepts but a lifetime to truly master them. That's why I can't say, vici: "I conquered."

I really enjoyed the wood turning class I took this past weekend at Woodcraft in Woburn, MA. There's nothing more exhilarating than learning a completely new skill and getting the hang of doing it. While I wouldn't call myself an expert yet, I feel that I made a lot of progress between my first tentative application of the gouge to the rapidly-spinning 3x3x10-inch chunk of wood (far left), and my last attempt, where I cut the smooth set of beads and coves you see on the right side of the photo.

Like any serious craftperson, I love nice tools. Consequently, I bought several wicked-looking gouges including this nearly two-foot-long high-speed steel roughing gouge.

It's really neat to think that it may soon help me make my first drop spindle.

2 Comments:

  • I'm looking forward to it, Lorrie!

    By Blogger Marcy, at 9:10 AM, August 25, 2007  

  • Ah yes, the tools! The transformation is amazing for that block, especially since it was your first day. That has lots of promise. So when I'm buying these turned tools, I'm paying for the lathe?

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:13 AM, August 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home