Knittingsmith

Monday, August 27, 2007

The turn of the screw...

Which in this case means the wood screw that holds the bowl-sized block of maple onto the lathe chuck. My fascination with woodturning continues.

I took two classes a couple of weekends ago: pen turning and bowl turning. The contrast between them is startling. When turning the wood to make a pen you use a proportionally small gouge. When turning a bowl you use a very large, very sharp bowl gouge. (This is not my hand or my bowl, by the way.) FIrst I shaped the outside of the bowl. Then I flipped it around, clamped the chuck around the foot (in wood parlance it's called the tenon) on the bottom, then hollowed the inside. The pile of shavings was immense.

In the end, I thought I did pretty well. It was round, it was even, and it looked like a bowl. My first bowl. I was ridiculously pleased.

I've done a bit of the other sort of turning this week too. Since Rhinebeck is coming up, I figured I'd better clear out at least one of the bags of fleece I bought last year. Finally completed: 127g and 720 yards of Persimmon Tree wool/mohair in "Autumn Leaves."

5 Comments:

  • Fascinating seeing all you do with wood! Lovely skein. I have some Persimmon Tree wool/ mohair too in 'Blueberry'. I should dig it out and give it a whirl on the new Schacht.

    By Blogger Manise, at 9:15 PM, September 12, 2007  

  • Very impressive, both the bowl and the spinning. Have you got an Etsy shop yet? ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM, September 18, 2007  

  • The bowl is pretty cool, but the yarn glows. It is much better in person. What Beth said? Yeah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM, September 20, 2007  

  • I'm pretty impressed with your bowl. I went to the Woodcraft site immediately. Need classes...
    Beautiful yarn, btw.

    By Blogger judy, at 7:39 PM, October 08, 2007  

  • And if you take that ridiculously large pile of shavings and put it outside in a pile, add to it for several months and then let is sit for a month or two, it makes really great mulch for around your shrubs and perennials. (I don't recommend it for veggies.) And when you get into a variety of woods, you get pretty colors. Last month's garden clean up ended with mulching - coco bolo, purple heart, maple and some cedar all mixed together around the rhododendrons in front. Neighbors want to know where I got it.

    By Blogger kim, at 11:56 AM, November 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home